Facts and Feelings
Öland is a most sought after destination in Sweden receiving 3 million visitors each year.
But there is place and plenty to enjoy for the tourist. Öland offers a mild climate and lovely beaches together with a beautiful landscape, a perfect living environment both for residents and tourists. It offers tranquillity with an abundant nature and birdlife. It offers fun and entertainment in its towns and tourism centres. It offers variety in the accommodation available and the excellent restaurants.
It offers a world heritage site in the south. It offers quality ceramics, art, glass, museums, galleries, sports centres, swimming, and golf courses.
Historical Öland: Many years ago, the Öland economy was largely dependent upon the resource industries of agriculture, fishing and limestone. These activities are still extremely important to the Island economy.
Modern Öland: Öland now has a growing tourism industry. Its close proximity to Kalmar, the county cit y with its expanding, modern university and busy industrial and ser vice business life, makes Öland an attractive location offering business connections combined with a high quality of life in a countryside setting. The people of Öland are industrious and thrifty, with the strong values of those who have traditionally made their living from the land and the sea combined with a modern outlook. Unemployment is well below Sweden’s average. Traditional qualities are combined with a modern outlook showing that Öland can cater for forward looking businesses. There is a place for you and your business here on Öland.
Setting up a business on Öland
Ölands closeness to Kalmar, up-to-date communications and travel infrastructure, and a skilled labour force make it a competitive and attractive business environment.
If you are:
- Starting or expanding your business
- Relocating your business
- Investing in an island business
- Looking for a friendly environment for you and your family
Please contact us for assistance and advice. More than a great place to visit, Öland is a great place to live and work – and a great place for todays companies to grow and profit.
- Qualified business advice through our established networks
- Contacts with financial institutions
- Guidance and assistance in communication with relevant public authorities
- Helpdesk for practical matters concerning establishing your business and your family in the community
- Öland offers top quality accommodation. The average price of a villa on Öland is 82000 euro.
- We can put you in contact with real estate agents who can help you find whatever you are looking for.
- Öland is an attractive environment to live in offering good locations and amenities.
- Sweden offers a top quality school system.
- Public services on Öland are modern, up-to-date.
- Ölands closeness to Kalmar means there is an attractive and varied job market.
- Öland has a ”feel-good” factor about it. We are moving forward keeping abreast of technology while not forgetting the traditions and strengths that made us what we are.
- Öland is an island in the Baltic Sea.
- Öland is a Swedish province: area 1342km2, population 24536.
- A 6 km bridge connects Öland to the mainland at the city of Kalmar.
- Öland has two municipalities: Borgholm in the north and Mörbylånga in the south.
- Easy access to Öland from Europe by plane via Copenhagen to Kalmar or via Stockholm.
- Temperate maritime
- Average daily temperature: July 16.6 C, January 0,5 C
- Öland is a multiple winner of the Swedish National Sun League.
- The Swedish King and Queen have a summerhouse on Öland
- There is an annual parade of British cars
- Every third car that crosses Ölands Bridge is a Volvo
- Öland is the most popular holiday destination in Sweden.
Anders Nyholm, Chief Industrial Development Office
Telephone: +46 (0)485-881 00
Jörgen Samuelsson, EU Advisory Office r
Telephone: +46 (0)485-882 11